Sunday, June 20, 2021

Book Review: Last Wish (Highland Magic #4)

Last Wish (Highland Magic, #4) 

Last Wish

Helen Harper

Overall: 3/5

Plot and themes: 2/5

Characters: 1/5

Writing style: 3/5

Attention-grabbing: 3/5

Last Wish is the final book in the Highland Magic series. Integrity has been faking her death for months now, attempting to restore her homeland and make a plan to save everyone from the Steward's treachery. There's also the whole matter of the Fomori, a people who will basically start a massacre if they find out she's still alive. So there are quite a few loose ends to tie up and not a lot of time to do so.

Okay so I went a little back and forth on the rating for this one but I decided to round up. I wasn't sure what it deserved because like I binged the whole series in like four days so it was obviously pretty addicting. But it was kind of like chips where you keep eating them and you're liking them but how much are you actually enjoying it? The characters were meh, it wasn't something that I was super invested in on any front.  The ending lacked the satisfaction of a real conclusion despite the fact that this series kind of dragged on. The ending itself was just upsetting, I don't feel as though we ever got a moment where we were like wow Integrity's powers are actually super cool. They just seem like a lose-lose to everyone. Don't even get me started on what she took from Morna and everything, that finale boss battle was the lamest part. 

So not to roast because I did think it was a pretty addicting series, I was just annoyed by quite a few elements of it. I liked the magic but I think we should have spent more time developing the politics of it all because it felt like basically the Sidhe just got away with treating everyone like shit for way too long until Integrity did the bare minimum to make everyone happy again. The real resolution was just better communication and that felt so weak in comparison to the rest of the universe. But again, it was addicting and easy to read. I just wish it had more depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...