Monday, June 7, 2021

Book Review: Brimstone Bound (Firebrand #1)

 Brimstone Bound (Firebrand, #1)

Brimstone Bound

Helen Harper

Rating System:

Overall: 4.5/5

Plot and themes: 5/5

Characters: 4/5

Writing style: 4/5

Attention-grabbing: 5/5

Emma Bellamy is a police officer one step away from detective. She thinks she's doing great until she's relegated to the Supernatural Squad, where reputation says only screwups are sent. On her first night on the job she gets her throat slit and it should be the end. But it's not, because Emma reincarnates perfectly fine. Now she has to figure out who killed her while also trying to figure out what exactly she is and prevent a total all out war. 

This is hardcore paranormal urban fantasy, the kind with a comedic protagonist that narrates her thought process kind of literally. But I loved it. It's quirky and easy to understand without being too straightforward, the mystery of her murderer really stumped me. I should've seen it coming but frankly I had no idea that what was going to happen was a given. I was expecting something completely different because I was expecting only two ways that the story could've ended so I was truly surprised. I loved it and I'm already halfway into the sequel. 

If you're looking for one of those books like something Jennifer Armentrout would write (pre FBAA) then this is the read for you. I can see the budding romance coming up, which will definitely be perfect, but it's not overly lewd or trying to be shocking in that way. Definitely looking forward to reading this series through. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...