Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Book Review: Reign of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles #2)

 Reign of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #2)

Reign of Mist

Helen Scheuerer

4/5

Bleak managed to overtake the crew of soldiers designated to take her to prison. Now she's washed up on a continent that no one remembers existed, with a group of people that many assumed to be dead. Everyone else is scrambling for war in similar ways, knowing that it can't be won without allies but not being sure who to trust. 

Bleak is the most interesting of the characters to me. I didn't like how easily her loyalties were changed in book 1, specifically regarding her only friend Bren. But I think she redeemed herself here and proved that she is the kind of person who can be counted on. I'm glad she got her little squad of panthers, I do think she interacts better with them than she does with real people but she's definitely working on it. 

I'm not sure why this series is continuously labeled romantic though. There's Olena and Nazuri which I suppose is fine unless you remember the nine year age gap and there's the whole thing with Athene that was a total trap. I'm obviously more of a romance reader so I'm waiting for it to happen. I thought that maybe her and Bren would have a thing but you know how that's working out right now- not that I can really blame him I guess it's just sad. Also Dash got weird but I'll be interested to see how it plays out as long as it's done in a considerate manner that doesn't gloss over the drama of lost time/education.

There were some dull points that were a little word-dump but all in all it was a pretty entertaining read. I think the series is more high fantasy than anything else, closer to like Tamora Pierce or maybe even to like C.S. Lewis but it's been alright. Don't read if you want a traditional fantasy romance though because like I said, romance isn't the center of really any of the plot lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...