Saturday, May 15, 2021

Book Review: Heart of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles #1)

Heart of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #1)

Heart of Mist

Helen Scheurer

4/5

Bleak has spent the past couple of years looking for a cure to her powers. She hears people's thoughts and she has no control over whose mind she's reading and it's driving her to insanity, alcohol being her own reprieve. When the king has her captured for illegal use of magic, she has no idea how things could get worse. She's soon pulled into a world of politics and magical maneuvering where she's a key player.

Sometimes the book got weighed down with scenes that felt a little extra, but all in all I think it laid the groundwork for an interesting plot with amazing characters. Also, I never know what's going to happen next or how everyone's really related. I know there's going to be some kind of reveal of Bleak's heritage but I'm not really sure how that's going to go and it's really keeping me invested. I think Bleak's character is special because she's not trying to be that pick me heroine, she's suffering from addiction and she's trying to forge her own place specifically for herself. She has some growth but you know I'm excited to see where she goes. 

The side characters weren't as interesting but I think they also have some room to become fantastic. I'm looking forward to a bunch of plot twists and just ways that the book gets more complicated and more exciting in the sequels. Also I saw this tagged as a fantasy romance and I don't really think it has all that many romantic elements at all, so don't be tricked. It's valuable for other reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...