Friday, May 28, 2021

Book Review: Fly with the Arrow (Bluebeard's Secret #1)

Fly with the Arrow (Bluebeard's Secret, #1)

Fly with the Arrow

Sarah Wilson

3/5

Izolda goes to the royal court knowing that she will probably need to be married by the end of her trip. She has accepted that her role has to be making a strong marriage and she trusts her father to arrange that for her. Her father makes that match and it looks decent until a man shows up and tries to kidnap the princess. She steps up and greets him first to protect her, not knowing the ancient laws that makes her life forfeit. Based on the tale of Bluebeard, she becomes his sixteenth wife and has to enter a world of fae and magic that was never in her wildest dreams. 

I liked it well enough, there were just points of major information dump that made it a little hard to get through. Also the back and forth of the protagonist was super difficult to follow as it didn't really follow a logical sequence. And I didn't understand the whole door thing or anything, it was all a bit confusing and maybe could have been fleshed out a little better. I think one of the points offered by the synopsis was that she would be confused by his attitude when he first appeared as a mass murderer, I don't think he was really all that nice or understanding just momentarily amused by her intelligence. 

I did like that it was such an interesting fusion of different stories. It's the tale of Bluebeard with more of a fae twist, but it also has all kinds of different stories threaded in. I got very Howl's Moving Castle vibes, if Howl had also had a room full of fifteen dead wives and collected the decapitated heads of his victims. Despite all of this, it was a little too predictable for my preference at this point. I'll keep an eye out for the sequel as I think I'm kind of hooked on the plot or that I could be with a little more of a push, but it was also kind of hard to make it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...