Sunday, May 30, 2021

Book Review: Cast in Firelight (Wickery #1)

Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)

Cast in Firelight

Dana Swift

Rating System:

Overall: 3.5/5

Plot and themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing style: 4/5

Attention-grabbing: 4/5

 

I'm going to try this new rating system and see how it goes. Cast in Firelight covers the journey of Adraa and Jatin, two heirs who have been betrothed nearly their entire lives. But they're incredibly competitive, they have built the relationship they have based on rivalry and the need to outdo each other. When they are supposed to finally meet again after ten years of only letters, a mix-up gives them time to get to know each other outside of their titles. Their marriage should unite their kingdoms against conflict and encourage a more peaceful age, but there are dark forces at work and that common theme of the gods not being able to leave anything alone. 

I think this book was pretty good, if anything it was addicting because it's one of those books where you just want to see the ending. I like the arranged marriage trope, I think it was pretty-well written and easy to follow. I also think that the characters were pretty okay, they did lay it on a little thick with why they hated each other when they didn't have all that much of a reason for such hatred. The whole idea of them not knowing each other at all then expanding to say they had actually sent these competitive letters was also a bit strange. They weren't the best ever but they also weren't the worst. 

There's an issue with this book and some controversy that I've seen with the fact that the author is not a Person of Color. I didn't know that when I picked it up, I kind of just went for the whole arranged marriage plot. I think it can be damaging to write from that perspective without the proper research and consultation, I'm not entirely sure what Dana Swift did to compensate for this. I found this book enjoyable, I felt as though she was being pretty respectful but also it's not my culture so if you found it offensive please let me know! 

Otherwise, if you're into a fluffy arranged marriage scenario with a dash of enemies to lovers, you'll probably enjoy this book. It's again, not the most complicated book ever but it's a fun read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...