Sunday, April 4, 2021

Book Review: A Strange Hymm (The Bargainer #2)

A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer, #2)

A Strange Hymm

Laura Thalassa

3/5

After the traumatic events of the last novel, Callie is trapped in the fae world and pretty upset with her new appearance. She has struggled for the past decade with being a victim to the men in her life and her new wings are a harsh physical reminder. She's in love with Des but she's also having a hard time coming to terms with this new life. When they are required to attend a fae celebration together, she's given an abrupt introduction to the politics of her new life. 

I have mixed feelings because I enjoyed reading this book but I can also recognize that there are elements of it that are super problematic. Like, the whole viewpoint on being a sexual abuse survivor but then like having to deal with Des's possessive behaviors? Rubs me the wrong way and doesn't seem to be getting better. Again, mixed feelings cause it's entertaining but it's also just weird. 

This is a paranormal fantasy book, a complete different set of rules from ACOTAR but there are scenes that feel like copy/pasted. I'm not talking about themes or anything, I'm talking about stuff that happened that I was like yep that happened in ACOMAF. Which is fine, this book has its own value and its own place in the world, but like I can see the influences. Doesn't make it less enjoyable, but probably would've been better if you haven't read ACOTAR or if you like super repetitive things. 

All in all, it was okay. I don't know if I'll be reading on, I don't feel super motivated to get to the ending, I can't imagine that it's going to really shock me. It's probably not a good sign in a series when I could drop it and never pick it up again, but again it's not super enthralling it's just okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...