Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Book Review: Beneath Black Sails (Beneath Black Sails #1)

Beneath Black Sails (Beneath Black Sails, #1)

Beneath Black Sails

Clare Sager

4/5

So I see a lot of people looking for pirate romances and they nearly always recommend Daughter of the Pirate King. While that one is enjoyable, this one is enjoyable in a whole different way. It's the grittier, New Adult version- minus the sirens or I suppose substitute the sirens with fae. We have a fallen gentlewoman turned pirate legend in an alternate England where magic sails the high seas. And we have a kind of enemies to lovers romance between an angsty pirate hunter working for his family and a cocky pirate who is trying to forget the life she left behind. 

If that wasn't enough to convince you I'm probably not really convincing you to read any of the books that I read. It actually kind of reminded me of Truthwitch by Susan Dennard for some weird reason. But again, this is solidly New Adult so there are a couple steamy scenes and the character are not going to refrain from being a little crass. At the same time, it wasn't super overwhelming on that front. 

My only complaint would be with the just general conflict with their identities. I know that it would be different in application, but it just felt so painstakingly obvious to me as a reader that the situation was being misunderstood. I do love a good plot-line with the guy making a mistake and having to grovel for forgiveness though so I still really enjoyed it. There were also a couple of moments when it felt a little too direct, like when their emotions were being explained directly through words rather than for us to just be understanding it as reader. 

Even with that though, it was still a very light and palatable read with a good amount of serious plot. I think that the first fifty pages were a little boring but once you get into it, it really grabs you. I finished it all in one sitting and I'm excited to read the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...