Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Book Review: A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2)

A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)

A Gathering of Shadows

V.E. Schwab

4/5

This edition in the Shades of Magic trilogy picks up four months after the conclusion of the first. It's a little difficult to jump into, but Lila has spent the time gaining credit as the primary thief on a pirate ship while Kell has been further alienated by the only parents he has ever known. When a tri-yearly tournament begins, both can't resist from competing though both under aliases. 

The only problem I really had with the book was how complicated it was at the beginning and how separate it was from the story lines which we got hooked on in the first book. All in good time of course, but it took me a while to get into it because I wasn't immediately seeing a continuation of what I wanted to see. I will say that this one did a much better job of ending on a cliffhanger, I'm a lot more likely to finish the third book now than I was to continue on to this book right away. I'm also here for the gradual introduction of Lila to magic, I think I understand where it's coming from but I'm glad it wasn't something that was just handed to us.

I'm a big fan of this series and in V.E. Schwab in general. I think she has such a great way of writing truly likeable characters with real flaws. I can't wait to see how the series ends and how the characters come full circle even though I'm super nervous about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...