Monday, March 1, 2021

Book Review: A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy #1)

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)

A Discovery of Witches

Deborah Harkness

3/5

This book was an emotional rollercoaster like I feel like I read ten different books. Starting off in a library, Diana Bishops summons and breaks the spell on a manuscript which no one has seen in two hundred years. This sets off a chain of events where other supernatural creatures are basically out to get her and get her powers. Also puts her in the sights of Matthew Clairmont, a vampire who is also a professor at Oxford. 

I thought this book was going to be a lot more intense than it was and yet it was also so intense? I think what threw me is the Twilight-esque levels of dedication between Matthew and Diana. I liked Diana's powers but I think they got so crazily entangled with the romantic elements of the story. I thought this was going to be like a story about witches with romantic elements but it was more a romantic story with witch elements. I didn't hate that for the most part, it's just completely different from what I expected. 

I know that a lot of it was explained by supernatural vampire bonds, but I think that was a little bit of cheating on relationship building and instead choosing to get straight into the thick of it. This book was nearly six hundred pages, I think we could have spent a little more time in like platonic situations of build up. I love soulmates as much as the next person but I also think that there needs to be some kind of foundation for it to be in any way believable. The start of the book was really good about this, going out to eat and doing yoga and then they turned into completely different characters.

I don't know if I'll read on. It was a pretty enjoyable read but it was so long for what I think I actually got from it. I also don't know how I feel about time travel, it's a little too complicated for my brain. We'll see, it took me three tries before I could actually get into this book and commit to reading it and I don't really regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...