Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Book Review: A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3)

A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3)

A Conjuring of Light

V.E. Schwab

5/5

This is so bittersweet because I feel like this book resolved everything pretty well and nicely but I kind of just want more. The book starts off where the last one ended like almost exactly but it's an extremely fast-paced novel, by the time I got to the end I felt as though I had read three. And though it was a little predictable at points, I completely understand the hype of this trilogy. 

Lila is such a unique protagonist. She's truly morally gray, but not so much that you can't find yourself rooting for her ARC. I think that she was raised in a certain way and that really rationalizes the way that she acts. I think she's especially unique for this, she's growing and by no means stagnant but she still stays true to the ideals which have been obviously ingrained in her. I love her and I love Kell and I love them together- even though I wish I had more interactions between them.

I also think that Rhy is a very well-written character who I felt like I understand a lot better after reading this book. I think that his arc, both in character growth and romantically, was more direct but still amazing. The line about a prince belong with his king? Had me in tears. Also him at the end on the balcony? I don't know why that just hit me so hard it was just all too much.

So it was a bit predictable, I knew exactly who was going to die and it went basically exactly how I thought it would. I don't think that necessarily took away from my enjoyment of the book, it was a little disappointing though. I also was a little upset that we didn't get more information into Kell and Lila's backstories, I know that this is more found family and the insistence that the past doesn't truly matter but you know I really wouldn't have minded knowing. 

Overall, an amazing trilogy. V.E. Schwab has such a talent for writing characters who really pop, characters who you're rooting for but who you can also understand the flaws of. I definitely recommend this trilogy if you've been holding out forever like I have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...