Sunday, February 7, 2021

Book Review: The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow #1)

The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)

The Storm Crow

Kalyn Josephson

2/5

After her life went up in literal flames, Anthia's life is further destroyed by a forced marriage with her enemy. She's not going to let them take another part of her life away though and quickly devises a plan to avenge the lives of the fallen and to end the reign of her oppressors. 

It's not like I disliked this book, I was just so ambivalent towards it. It was okay, it was hitting all of the checkmarks on a book that I should like I just wasn't invested in it. Maybe it was the lack of chemistry in the romance that feels like a total filler? Maybe it was the lack of real worldbuilding before forcing the tragedy, I just didn't really feel the weight of Anthia's turmoil. And I don't know if it was depicted in a way that I could get behind, it's difficult to deal with mental health in a fantasy world where you want to be adventurous but like it's so weighty and dark. I don't think it hit the right balance and it just felt a little bit amateur. 

I think two stars is a little harsh but I just didn't like it that much. There are books that I recognize as poorly written but still interesting, books with horrible plot devices that are still interesting, and books that are written without any real problems but just aren't interesting. I think that the magical universe has value I was just really missing out on the depth of the characters. The cover is gorgeous and I think that the author has real potential, this just wasn't it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...