Friday, February 5, 2021

Book Review: The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen #1)

The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen, #1) 

The Dark Days Club

Alison Goodman

4/5

Lady Helen has been told for most of her life that she needs to strive away from her mother's sinful and treacherous nature. Her mother died ten years ago and is considered as mutinous to many. Lady Helen's restful tendencies could be because of her inevitable marriage to whoever her uncle decides upon, but could also be an indication of that same hereditary character flaw. When Lady Helen discovers her mother was actually part of a task force dedicated to expelling evil creatures from England and sanctioned by the crown, her entire perception of the world is at risk. 

I went back and forth on the rating because like parts of this were a little dull for me but like I needed to read because I needed to know what was going to happen. This is exactly the kind of book I love- potential enemies to lovers, fantasy, and historical fiction. Lord Carlton hasn't gotten enough exposition for me to know if I truly like his character, but he's definitely better than the Duke of Selburn. Her and the duke have zero chemistry and I hope we move past that as a plot line. 

The magic is exciting, their powers have a lot potential to go to new and original places. I think it's kind of reminiscent of Pride and Prejudice but like just a little and with the obvious addition of demons. It wasn't a fast read for me, took me a while to digest and like I said, some points were slow. I started reading it a few years ago and then dropped it and just read it straight through this time. I'm hesitant to recommend it yet because I don't know if it's going to get as exciting as I anticipate but like I'm excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...