Saturday, January 9, 2021

Book Review: Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy #1)

Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)

Wicked Saints

Emily A. Duncan

3/5

I've had this book on my list for so long and I've kind of just been putting off reading it. It has two separate POVs though it kind of follows the progress of three characters. Nadya is a cleric and a voice piece for gods who are not universally valued or empowered. Her powers are derived from their favor. Malachiasz is a disgraced Vulture, a secretive and cultish faction of the blood mages, and Serefin is the high prince and also a powerful blood mage. The gods see blood magic as heresy and their entire country as a heretical land as a veil prevents their dominance. I say heresy twice because that was probably the top used word in the book and the best way to describe the god's perspective.

I didn't hate it, I honestly think that the second one will probably interest me a lot more. It just didn't feel super unique, I was reading it and feeling like I had read the plot a million times before. Maybe it was all the back and forth and how people couldn't decide if they were bad or good. I think that Malachiasz and Nadya both went back and forth a trillion times and it really took away from the whole story from me. 

I'll probably read the next one at some point because I didn't hate it and it was kind of interesting, I'm just not sure how original it is. Like I said, it had it's moments and the world building could definitely go somewhere cool, I'm just not seeing it at this minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...