Sunday, January 17, 2021

Book Review: King's Warrior (The Aermian Feuds #4)

 King's Warrior (The Aermian Feuds #4)

King's Warrior

Frost Kay

4/5

When I read the first book and how she was describing trauma and just all of Sage's experiences, I didn't have super high hopes for the rest of the series but I was interested enough to keep going. Sage has gone through so much as a character and there's a really interesting dynamic presented, she's still struggling from everything as any normal person would but she's also so much stronger because of it. I wanted to say that Sage wasn't the best protagonist at the beginning and all of her back and forth was annoying but now I can see how well her arc is shaping up and it's getting really good. 

I will say in terms of just technique there are some elements of this series that can kind of detract from the experience. There are a few grammatical and spelling errors peppered in and the dialogue can feel so stunted and unnatural. I think it might be getting better from the first book but maybe that's just my growing attachment to the characters. It's not the worst, I've read quite a few bad books and this one just could use a bit of further editing. And the full length pieces of writing from the previous novel without any real changes are a real turn off that made me pretty mad.

The romance is also a lot better. I was previously doubtful of this being any good in a romantic scope at all but I think it really redeemed itself. Neither of them is pushing each other, instead of hiding from the trauma they've built a really nice support system on mutual respect. I also love their interactions with their separate families it just feels so much more wholesome and natural. I'm really concerned for them and scared for their outcome but right now they're doing so much better than they were. 

I think this got very interesting though and I can't imagine how much more exciting the next couple of books are going to be. I'm a little concerned with how you can fill a whole two full length books when it feels so close to the peak of the conflict, but it's not going to stop me from reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...