Saturday, January 16, 2021

Book Review: Enemy's Queen (The Aermian Feuds #3)

Enemy's Queen (The Aermian Feuds, #3)

Enemy's Queen

Frost Kay

4/5

A lot of questionable choices in this one, the third book in the Aermian Feuds series. Sage is kidnapped and presented to the most villainous villain yet- we've had a lot of villains but this is the worst of the villains. Like look up a villain in the textbook and you get a picture of him he's truly just textbook. But Tehl and all her friends are trying to get her back from this impenetrable fortress and huge swaths of time are going by and it's just very bad for Sage. 

This book should probably come with some TWs for abuse and such, this man was manipulating her to new extremes. I'm not a therapist so I can't define it all but I think that the author did a great job of creating something beyond simple physical brutality. It was interesting and much more original than the other books in the series have been. Though I would definitely say that the book exited young adult and is firmly in new adult now- if it was ever YA. 

The switches in POV are getting a little annoying though, like what are the standards for giving someone a POV because it feels like just about everyone qualifies for it. That didn't detract too much from the story but I found myself much more eager to read Tehl and Sage's POVs. Also, Tehl has been so much better developed as a character. They have an unconventional relationship built on quite a few struggles and misunderstandings, I think it's only stronger for that. I understand him a lot better and I think it was a great book for him. 

I think I can recommend this series a bit more now after reading this. It kind of reminds me of Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes. It's kind of long before it gets exciting but I think it's worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...