Monday, December 14, 2020

Book Review: The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)

The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)

The Red Scrolls of Magic

Cassandra Clare and Wesley Chu

3/5

Set following City of Glass but prior to City of Fallen Angels, Magnus and Alec decide to take their first vacation together. It's nice until he almost gets arrested for starting a cult hundreds of years ago. Now they have to figure out how to stop it all before the Clave finds out and things get messier.

It's not that there was anything bad about this book, it just felt much more like a novella than the full-length book which it is advertised to be. I care about Magnus and Alec, but maybe I'm too removed from the events of the original series- the original trilogy especially- for me to feel super strongly about all this. There were a few notable quotes but I think there significance was really regarding the events of TDA rather than who Magnus and Alec are as individuals. 

I don't know if anything that happened was memorable. I think I didn't mind reading it that much, it's not as if it was boring, it just wasn't as action-packed as these books typically are. I don't have problems with it I just don't have any reason to say you should read it for any reason other than nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...