Thursday, December 17, 2020

Book Review: The Missing of Clairdelune (The Mirror Visitor #2)

The ​Missing of Clairdelune (The Mirror Visitor Quartet, #2)

The Missing of Clairdelune

Christelle Dabos

4/5

I was having a difficult time motivating myself to read this book, I liked the first a lot but the complexities of the world made reading another kind of daunting. I have no regrets though, things just got more and more intense and more interesting. The best part of this series is the danger of the political courts mixed with the almost commonplace lives of the families. It's like, people are disappearing and dying and everything is kind of archaic in the way marriages are arranged but also not really cause they're given time to get to know each other and for the families to all meet and such. 

Again, it's a crazy balance. Ophelia and Thorn interacted a lot more in this book than the last one, that was a major complaint I had in the first. I think that it's a pretty slow burn still, I wish they had more time to just talk but you know it's a serious world. The ending blew my mind and I read the synopsis for the next and I am upset that there's such a time jump. We'll see how long it takes me to get on board with that. 

The powers remain extremely interesting with an added twist of all the mythology that is starting to be incorporated. I will say that there are some weird incongruities with the way people inherit and the way they translate across marriages. I hope we get some more background on the whole lineage thing so that I can understand how it all works a little better. 

But 10/10 would recommend this series. It has the forced-marriage-scenario trope and then angsty male lead that makes it a kind of enemies to lovers thing while being super slow burn. It's super long and though the relationship was the key originator to the plot, I wouldn't say that the romance is all that central. The darkness of the politics and mythology is where this series is truly standing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...