Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Book Review: Murder in Morningside Heights (Gaslight Mystery #19)

 Murder in Morningside Heights (Gaslight Mystery, #19)

Murder in Morningside Heights

Victoria Thompson

4/5

I liked this one a lot better than book 18, mostly because I'm really just living for Malloy and Sarah's interactions as I have been for the entirety of this series. Malloy is in the process of getting his private detective agency started up and he's trying to get more of the cases he really wants to look into- the unsolved murders that the police avoid. He gets one in Abigail Northrup's murder and it's one of the classic Gaslight Mystery set-ups. 

The mystery was ok, it was not direct but at the same time had an obvious ending. I wasn't shocked, but I also wasn't really expecting it in exactly that way. What I really love is that Malloy is getting to do what he loves and help people, even though that wasn't always his goal in life. He's had such amazing character growth, he's literally unrecognizable from the man who we were introduced to in the first book. Like, he loves Sarah and is married to her and rich but also recognizes and encourages her independence. She's like I can't be a midwife too complicated and difficult, he's like you can still do more though I know you want to. It take a lot to recognize something that someone doesn't even recognize in themselves. 

I know we're trying to develop Gino and Maeve's arcs a little more, and although I respect that, I still want them to back off. Sarah and Malloy's story has a lot left to it and I would appreciate if they weren't cast off to the side. Other than that though I'm still completely recommending this series and looking forward to reading the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...