Thursday, October 29, 2020

Book Review: Big Little Lies

Big Little Lies

Big Little Lies

Liane Moriarty

4/5

There were a lot of things happening in this book. It follows the perspective of three mothers through the events leading up to a murder- though it isn't revealed who is murdered till the end. It also features interviews and testimonies with the other mothers and fathers in the town. It creates a complicated image of a small town with people who have complicated and tangled relationships with each other. 

I never thought about how difficult the age dynamics of a Kindergarten classroom must be. Age dynamics as in the ages of the parents, I assume it must be a lot easier in bigger cities but Jane was really the only person in her demographic at all. Her relationship with Madeleine was weird because of that and it kept you on the edge of your seat the entire time. 

The one thing I didn't like about it all was how neat the ending was. I feel like books like this should be messier. They're intriguing because you find out about what people are capable of and you see them pushed their limits. Despite all of the intrigue, the antagonist was most clearly a villain and remained so throughout the novel until the received their punishment at the end. This didn't ruin anything, it obviously had a very strong message on the lines of the need for women to support other women, which they did till the very end. But I wish there had been another twist thrown in there. 

Overall though I would recommend. It was suspenseful, I think I really read it all in one sitting because I wanted to know who was murdered so badly. I'm looking forward to watching the TV show now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...