Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Book Review: From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash #1)

 From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)

From Blood and Ash

Jennifer L. Armentrout

2/5

I've heard a lot of good things about this book so maybe I just built myself up to be disappointed. I think it was pretty obvious from the beginning what was going to happen, it felt like a weak imitation of so many other books in this genre- especially ACoMaF. It also felt very similar in characterization to her other books, Poppy is indistinguishable from Trinity in Storm and Fury. I didn't DNF because I did want to know where things were going, it's just unfortunate that it wasn't original. 

I think that since ACoMaF succeeded so well, authors realized they could write New Adult type books with sex scenes and gain a whole demographic. I guess it worked for this book since it seems to be so popular, didn't really work for me. Sex just felt like a cheap move, there was the potential to use it the opposite way because of how important it was but instead there was an overload of assertive "alpha male" scenes. I was like skipping through the scenes because they felt so obligatory and pointless.

I don't know if I'll read the next book in the series. Despite it all, I'm a little bit invested in where it's going to go. I don't know if I can handle all the whiplash though, it has that same annoying trend as Rage and Ruin where the oscillation between murder and twisted love isn't cute it just convinces you of their instability.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...