Thursday, October 22, 2020

Book Review: Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers #1)

  Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)

Crown of Feathers

Nicki Pau Preto

5/5

This book was so good I didn't expect it at all. I picked it up when it first came out and I wasn't super interested and so I put it off and I regret that because it got so interesting. I should've known- the whole Mulan style trope where girls are pretending to be boys so that they can fight hardly ever misses. Veronyka has to pretend to be a boy because she wants to be a Phoenix Rider and though that used to be a career open to men and women, war has made the riders much pickier. She's also really going through it too cause of other stuff. 

I think that what really struck me was the complexity of the relationship between Val and Veronyka, the history that led there and the realities of the present situation. It's easy to write a character that everyone hates, it's easy to write a character that everyone feels bad for, it's difficult to strike that balance between love and hate. I think that there's going to be a lot more in the war of sisters, done for a second time over. 

I'm really hoping for some great romance in the next book because I can see it set up really nicely for a couple of pairs. Preto is obviously making some real strides towards inclusion and representation and that kind of consideration is what really sets young adult apart. I can't wait to get into the sequel and I totally recommend this book to anyone whose been thinking about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...