Thursday, September 10, 2020

Book Review: The Thorn and the Blossom

The Thorn and the Blossom

The Thorn and the Blossom

Theodora Goss

2/5

This was a creative book, it was presented in a format that I haven't really seen before. The sequence of events though didn't make a ton of sense, it would have really benefited from some extra pages explaining everything. I understand the appeal of leaving things open-ended, but it was really treading the line between fantasy and contemporary the whole time and I feel like there was a real lack of validation for us as readers and for the characters. 

I also felt kind of sketched out by the main character's love interests? <spoiler> He was married, his wife had been comatose for three years but he was actively pursuing romantic relations outside of that? I understand that she was in a vegetative state and all, but he didn't tell Evelyn about it and that just made it feel so much more sketchy? She didn't tell him about her visions or whatever but like I feel like that's way less relevant than being actively MARRIED maybe I'm wrong though. </spoiler>

The characters didn't have enough depth, the plot didn't have enough depth. It could've been longer than a hundred pages and more stuff could have happened to resolutely plant it in either genre. I can't believe the ending though, so many things were just opened and left open. I don't think I would recommend it to anyone besides fans of the folktale specifically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...