Sunday, September 13, 2020

Book Review: The Lady in the Coppergate Tower

 The Lady in the Coppergate Tower (Steampunk Proper Romance #3)

The Lady in the Coppergate Tower

Nancy Campbell Allen

3/5

There was so much going on in this novel and I was losing track of it all. I didn't go into it knowing that this was the third book in the series, if I had I might have read the others considering all of the different characters that were introduced. That being said, it can still be read as a standalone. It follows Hazel and Sam, a doctor and his assistant, as she discovers unknown things about her heritage and subsequent abilities. 

It was set in the 1800s but a steampunk version, there were also magical powers and vampires and shapeshifters, mythology, and the fairy-tale twist. Every time I thought that I had gotten used to something BAM they add Vlad the Impaler or some other crazy element. I think that despite all of this, a lot of the central parts of the book were rather mundane. How can something be so crazy yet so simple? 

That being said thought the romance was amazing. There's just something terrific about a male protagonist who sets out to save the female only to realize that she's strong enough to do it by herself. That being said, he still rushes head first into danger but not out of a need to dominate but just because he loves her and wants to. I know that this sets the bar rather low but I honestly live for it. 

It's confusing at points with all the conflicting elements but honestly worth a read just for this romance. I didn't even know it was a Rapunzel rewrite until the end, maybe if I had I would have recognized and appreciated the parallels a little more. Overall though, super unique and pretty fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...