Thursday, August 13, 2020

Book Review: Letter to My Daughter

 Letter to My Daughter

Letter to My Daughter

Maya Angelou

4/5

More non-fiction, I've read like four this year but that's four more than I usually read without academic provocation. Maya Angelou is a phenomenal writer because of how profound yet understandable her writing is. It's not written in a way that is separated from the reader, it feels like she's actually speaking to the individuals rather than the masses. Letter to My Daughter is a collection of short essays about her life that represent her lessons to the younger generation. 

I really liked most of the individual stories. Like I said, they were profound but I also didn't feel like I was reading some hyped up events that were largely embellished. I can believe that Angelou lived through these events and I can't believe she could put all these seemingly random events into a comprehensive narrative. 

I didn't feel the impact of the larger message as much as I would like to in a book that I was expecting to have such weight. The individual essays were weighted, comical at times, and significant in their own ways. I just couldn't feel the underlying message of it all at the end despite the significance of each story. I liked them all for their own value but I don't know if it's a singular letter or more of a compilation of life lessons. Still would recommend it though if you're feeling the need for worldly wisdom or funny life stories from someone who was so experienced and thoughtful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...