Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Book Review: War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)

War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
War Bound
Tara Grayce
5/5

I'm giving a sequel 5/5 because wow this really just blew me away. Essie and Farrendel had a somewhat arranged marriage, abnormal for Farrendel's kingdom not only for the brevity of the engagement but for her humanity.  Elves live for like a thousand years, marrying within a few days like they did would be like minutes in a human's lifespan. But they made the most of it and their romance has truly progressed amazingly.

In an attempt to prevent war between the elves and humans once again, Farrendel and Essie have to prove that her brother didn't sell weapons to the trolls. To do so, they're on a diplomatic mission that doubles as Farrendel's first real introduction to her family. I love the family dynamics here so much, neither of them have completely tragic lives. Essie has a pretty normal arc and an extremely supportive family. Farrendel has mostly a supportive family (keyword being mostly the ending killed me) but the circumstances of his birth have prevented him from feeling as though he ever really belongs. Somehow, with the overly emotional humans who push him to the edges of his tolerance for socialization, he finds a place where he belongs.

That's what truly gets me about this series thus far. It's not just about belonging with their husband or wife, they have to carve their own places in their respective families and their respective cultures. It may not be as deep as some fantasy novels regarding the actual magical elements, but the relationships really make up for it. I don't think you see the kind of strength and support you saw here in most novels of this genre.

I'm still obviously standing behind what I said in the last review, this series is amazing and I'm completely recommending it. I love it and I can't wait to see where it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...