Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Book Review: Reborn Yesterday (Phenomenal Fate #1)

Reborn Yesterday (Phenomenal Fate, #1)
Reborn Yesterday
Tessa Bailey
2/5

When I saw the cover, I thought it was going to be a cliche contemporary romance. When I read the description and saw the inclusion of vampires I was like uh paranormal contemporary romance? You have my attention. Unfortunately, this one fell kind of short of what I was anticipating.

Working as a coroner, Ginny started off strong and stuck with those "not like other girls" statements that really grind my gears. When she meets Jonas, she's "cute and quirky" but really just weird? I don't know I really didn't vibe with the choices made in their first interaction. Honestly, all their interactions were kind of weird? Also the whole life-threatening situation thing felt severely underplayed, she straight up didn't tell anyone that she ended up in the middle of the ocean one night? Like, sleepwalking is a thing and she could've tried to get help? Was very weird and random all around in that respect.

The reveal was obvious- the book is titled Reborn Yesterday, I was kind of expecting rebirth in some aspect. All of the vampire powers really made no sense to me though. What was the point of the heartbeat? It made them more vampiric? And he didn't understand their connection until days after meeting but understand it perfectly well from a distance last time? There were too many plot twists for it too be a great paranormal read and too little chemistry for it to be a good romance.

I didn't hate it entirely, it had its moments and I finished it so it was pretty entertaining. I just felt like it hit the same problem as Breaking Dawn did, oversimplified where it felt like young adult but like too graphic to be young adult. Not that young adult is simple, but like obviously intended for a younger audience. This one was surprisingly graphic, so don't go into it without knowing that! If you were super into Twilight, this one falls pretty similar with less filler material.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...