Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Book Review: Chain of Gold (The Last Hours #1)

Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
Chain of Gold
Cassandra Clara
5/5

I had very much convinced myself that I was done with the whole Shadowhunter phase of my life. This book really proved me wrong because I'm about to reread the entirety of Cassandra Clare's work just to feel something again. The children of Will and Tessa and the other characters from The Infernal Devices series, this book is the perfect mix of nostalgia and originality. I didn't think I could love characters like I loved Will and Tessa and Jem, but here I am loving Will and Tessa's kids.

I think Cassandra Clare has majorly stepped up her game. The Mortal Instruments probably had a better plot than the Infernal Devices, but the TDI characters resounded with me a lot more than the TMI characters did. In this book, I didn't have to choose between plot and characterization. It's also not limited to a singular love triangle, every character mentioned is experiencing an amazing arc that just contributes to the impact of the store.

I also didn't want to read this book because of the family tree in Clockwork Princess, if we know who everyone is going to end up with then what's the point of reading? I don't think she's holding with that family tree though? Which is annoying for the sake of continuity, but I'll honestly let it slide if I get more of the twists and turns that this story went through. I also don't like to see another love triangle building up, but I trust that Cassandra Clare is going to twist it in a way that no one is ever going to expect once again.

Looking forward to the next book in the series and looking forward to going through all the books and rereading them now with fresh eyes. Would totally recommend this one for anyone who though they got over their phase in middle school because it definitely will have you crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...