Thursday, March 19, 2020

Book Review: The Simple Wild (Wild #1)

The Simple Wild (Wild, #1)
The Simple Wild
K.A. Tucker
4/5

I liked this book a lot more than I though I would when I started reading it. Calla was born in Alaska but left before she was two when her mom got fed up with her father's risky lifestyle. It was also the typical "if you had tried I would have come back" type trope between them, but it never worked because both of her parents were afraid to make the leap. Calla returns to Alaska to meet her father for the first time after finding out about his diagnosis. There's also a slowburn romance happening that makes everything a lot better.

I thought I would hate Calla because I don't usually like high-maintenance people and she seemed like a total mooch. I still think she's a fairly big mooch but she had some redeeming character qualities that kept me interested. The biggest problem that I had with it was both of them trying to change each other. Specifically Jonah's whole tangent against her makeup and routine. Personally, I don't wear makeup that often and I don't have the same schedule as her, but him stealing it because he "felt she looked better" triggered my fight or flight. I hate it when people comment on aesthetic choices like that, that she puts so much time and effort into and like what if it's a mask and she's very insecure? You can't take someone's choice away like that.

Other than that though this book was very sweet and it made me cry. Both Jonah and Calla are people who can be difficult but they compliment each other in that way. Also Wren was so good and I loved his character a lot. Simon was another character who I feel was majorly underrated while her mother was someone who I feel was overrated. Her mom ruined a lot of things, not saying it wasn't also Wren's fault, but she just came across as demanding and selfish and all the qualities I hated in Calla.

Anyways, it was a great read and I'm already on the waitlist for the sequel which I am super excited for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...