Friday, March 27, 2020

Book Review: Caged in Winter (Reluctant Hearts #1)

Caged in Winter (Reluctant Hearts, #1)
Caged in Winter
Brighton Walsh
2/5

Winter grew up in the foster system, she has trust issues and literally no friends. Cade has also kind of been through it in life, an orphan at 22 and with a younger sister and niece to take care of, he's used to taking care of people. He sees Winter working at the bar and he can't stop himself from helping her, he just sees her and wants to know her- kind of a lot for a person who has never felt wanted in her life.

The premise of this book was okay, but I couldn't rate it any higher because a lot of the elements irritated me. We have this character who keeps saying she's strong, and I agree because she's definitely strong, yet Cade kind of disregards everything she says. Also, neither of their backstories were developed all that well, even though it was a full length book it felt like a novella. No really fleshed out flashbacks, nothing that really called out their tragedies. I just didn't feel connected to them and the ending didn't really hit me as that significant. Like the epilogue was two months later, that's not enough time and I wasn't really feeling the impact.

Probably should have been rated higher than two stars because I didn't hate it, but I wasn't really feeling three stars. If you're into short books that are super straightforward I'd recommend it, otherwise, there are better things to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...