Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Book Review: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1)

The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)
Mistborn
Brandon Sanderson
4/5

People have been telling me to read this book forever. It's a high fantasy where Mistborn individuals can burn a variety of metals to unlock a variety of powers. Our heroine, Vin, grew up on the streets with an abusive brother, not knowing that she had all of these powers. When Kelsier finds her, he trains her to aid in his rebellion, in overthrowing the god-like ruler who has been dominating the country for centuries.

I loved it, it's exactly the kind of high fantasy that has enough to keep you occupied without overloading you with too many names and too much information. Vin was a great character, she rose past her tragic past and learned to be a truly powerful individual- both mentally and physically. Kelsier was also great event though I went through periods of disliking him, but honestly he had me crying by the end.

The only reason I couldn't give it five stars was probably the length and the romance. The first thirty percent of the book had me kind of bored and I was considering DNF, but I held on and it was totally worth it. The romance started off strong, he was reading at a ball so I was instantly in love with him. That's where the real problem arose, it was very insta-love even though Elend and Vin didn't talk all that much. I like it but I'm going to have to see where it goes in the next book to truly be on board with it.

Overall though I would totally recommend! It has some amazing magical elements that are very well-developed and complex, a beautiful universe and some characters with real potential. Can't wait to see where the sequel goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...