Sunday, October 13, 2019

Book Review: They Unhoneymooners

The Unhoneymooners
The Unhoneymooners
Christina Lauren
3/5

This book was cute. It was awkward, uncomfortable, amazingly cliche, but also a fun and enjoyable read. When Olive's twin sister and the entirety of her wedding party gets sick, only Olive and her new brother-in-law's brother make it out unscathed. Olive doesn't like Ethan though, and Ethan doesn't like Olive, but they aren't about to let this all-expenses-paid vacation go to waste. It's like your dream rom-com, but it goes a little past the honeymoon so you get a dose of them dealing with the real world too.

Books like these go by so fast for me, I literally blow through them because they're just so easy to read. I think I read this one in like two hours last night, it really was just that fast. If you've read the synopsis, I don't think you go into it expecting anything more than it is, you want a cute romance with relatable protagonists and that's exactly what you get.

For a protagonist advertised as awkward and unlucky though, Olive didn't really strike me as awkward and unlucky. I swear, she said that she was curvy and bragged about her boobs like a thousand times and then like tried to use it as something to complain about too? I don't like when authors use the whole I'm quirky thing so liberally, and there was just too much of that here for me to really give it anything higher than three stars. I didn't dislike Olive, she was really a pretty nice and relatable person for a lot of it, she just had way too many of those moments where I was just incredibly annoyed with how she was written.

I was on the wait-list for this book forever because it was just so popular on the library app. I don't think I was really disappointed, it's pretty much exactly what it's advertised to be and that's just what I was looking for. Would recommend for people who love that awkward relationship with all that realistic animosity, and for everyone who wants a fun little read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...