Saturday, October 12, 2019

Book Review: Beyond a Darkened Shore

Beyond a Darkened Shore
Beyond a Darkened Shore
Jessica Leake
4/5

Beyond a Darkened Shore is a fantasy romance with a bunch of historical elements. It's set in a changing world, a blend of Celtic and Nordic legends that creates a really beautiful atmosphere. It's advertised as an enemies-to-lovers trope, and while they are enemies who do fall in love, I never really felt and true animosity between them.

It's a pretty cliche plot base, but Jessica Leake really wowed me with her plot-twists and how deeply she understood and utilized the very different cultures. Ciara has powers that terrify and alienate her family, but she hasn't lost her faith in her kingdom. She's a great heroine because she is dedicated yet adaptable. Leif is a very supportive character, he didn't shine much for me aside from how great he was for Ciara. That's not always a bad thing, but I would've appreciate if his personality had been fleshed out a bit more.

I think that there might have also been a little too much to the story, it dragged a little at parts and then the actual battles felt a little clunky. Also with Ciara's powers, they kept saying she hadn't unlocked them yet but it felt like her glow-up wasn't much of a step-up from what she had always done. It would have been more interesting if we could have seen a different utilization of these powers. I don't know her almighty godliness fizzled out a bit for me.

I really love the universe, I read Jessica Leake's other book in this universe, Through the White Wood, first and I think that I liked this one more. I would totally recommend it to people who love history and love a good cliche but heartwarming romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...