Sunday, October 6, 2019

Book Review: Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper #1)

Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)

Stalking Jack the Ripper
Kerri Maniscalco
3/5

Stalking Jack the Ripper is a young adult historical fiction written about Audrey Rose, a girl defying societal conventions in order to do forensic research with her uncle. Unfortunately, it's in a time period packed with gore as Jack the Ripper has just started prowling the streets of London. Because it's fairly locked in YA, I don't feel like it gets all that deep into the issues. There are attempts at it, but I still think it's fair to call it YA.

I don't know with this one. I love historical fiction, Jack the Ripper books are usually interesting and I love a good female detective. But Audrey Rose, I swear she said she was "quirky" or "different" at least a thousand times and I was getting a little annoyed by it. It just felt like a poor imitation of The Anatomist's Wife, like the author was trying way too hard to make her edgy and create conflict in random places. A lot of the book was me just trying to get through all of those horrible references to how alternative she was and it ruined many of the elements.

The relationship was ok, I felt like it wasn't as genuine as it could have been. It wasn't insta-love, but I also feel like they didn't talk that much before she was sooo in love with him and I didn't like that. It's like the plot, I wasn't in love with it but also it wasn't a bad read. It was just kind of average on my scale of things.

This series is popular so I was kind of excited, but also it's endorsed by James Patterson and I've never liked him. I'll probably read the next one just to see if it picks up, but right now I'd probably just rank it as likable but not life-changing, a simple kind of read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...