Sunday, September 29, 2019

Book Review: The Demon Tamer (The Demon Tamer #1)

The Demon Tamer (The Demon Tamer, #1)
The Demon Tamer
Christian Brancati
3/5

I was sent a copy of the book by the author for a review. The Demon Tamer follows the adventures of Damian, a unique blend of gods and humans and dragons (kind of??) as he tries to figure out who he is and what his purpose is. If you love all kinds of mythology then this really is the book for you because just like the main character, there's a little bit of everything here. It starts in Ancient Rome but it's like all over the place in terms of the historical content and journeys.

I appreciated how historical this book was because it provided such a unique blend of so many different cultures, along with that added fantasy. I do think that at times this hindered the story a little bit, or at least my connection to the characters. I would recommend spending more time focused on talking about the main character, so many characters were introduced so quickly that I lost some of the impact of the plot. There were also general issues I had with the writing style, nothing that can't get better in the sequel.

Overall, it was a good read with a lot of different elements that you wouldn't expect to blend so well. I'll keep my eye out for the sequel and can't wait to see how Brancati grows as an author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...