Friday, October 25, 2019

Book Review: Scythe (Arc of a Scythe #1)

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
Scythe
Neil Shusterman
3/5

In the Scythe universe, no one dies, they have cured all disease, there is no war, there is no crime. Because of this basic immortality, there's the potential for serious population problems so certain individuals have been chosen as scythes. These scythes have absolute authority on gleanings, where they get to choose people to die based on supposed statistics from the Age of Mortality.

The premise had the potential to be like really amazing, but I might just not be into dystopian right now, the market just feels so oversaturated and tired. I just couldn't get on board with the idea that they would allow these deaths to be so brutal. Like why wouldn't you give them all pills? I don't see how society would allow that absolute authority. Maybe I'm over-analyzing the premise, but like this kind of thing could never really fly.

Even aside from it being non-realistic, the characters weren't really anything I could get behind. The POVs were switching with no real rhyme or reason and I just felt as though Citra and Rowan were very distant. I liked Scythe Faraday and Scythe Curie, they were both characters whom I could believe had been doing this for over a hundred years.

Again, I liked the premise. I think it's a fairly good dystopian, but I am also a little lost on all the hype for it. It also could be that I'm biased against the genre at this point, but I just don't think the writing was super interesting. If you prefer your characters to be more distant, then this is a great book for you, I'm just way more involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...