Thursday, September 12, 2019

Book Review: Rebel Springs (Falling Kingdoms #2)

Rebel Spring (Falling Kingdoms, #2)
Rebel Spring
Morgan Rhodes
3/5

I'm going to be real, there isn't enough magic in these books. I'm holding out cause I know that there's going to be some more, but it's not feeling like hard enough fantasy yet. This is the second book in the Falling Kingdoms series, it continues the adventures of Lucia, Cleo, Magnus, and Jonas, with a couple other POVs mixed in just for fun. The three kingdoms have merged into one, Mytica, and they're ruled by a psycho.

Said psycho, King Gaius, is actually a pretty fun villain. He's so cruel and so loveless, but at the same time he like loves his kids in his own twisted way. I appreciate how he expresses his pride and his appreciation for them, he's definitely very abusive and sadistic, but he has some great twists to his character that make him more human. I don't think I like Magnus, he has some weird Warner vibes from Shatter Me, like I don't know if he should be forgiven for what he's been doing but I feel compelled to forgive him. We'll see where that goes, I guess Rhodes is good at writing a redeemable villain?

I think that my main problem with this one was the pacing, it all felt very weird. There are a couple awkward time jumps that like lessen the impact of the situation, made it feel more listy than intense. There are some good plot twists in there though, even with the weird pacing I was entertaining. I'm not going to say that Rhodes isn't afraid of killing people, cause there are obvious mains that have yet to die, but there are some fun deaths in there where I was like wow that had me shook didn't see that one coming. I liked that, kept me on my toes and got me past the pacing.

I'm looking forward to reading the next one in this series because I've heard that it only gets better. At this point, I think it's worth a read because it does have some complexity without being convoluted. Not fantasy enough yet, but it's a slow burn fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...