Thursday, August 1, 2019

Book Review: The Winged Assassin (The Fire Thief #2)

The Winged Assassin (The Fire Thief Book 2)

The Winged AssassinA
Gwynn White and Erin St. Pierre
4/5

Overview

Considering the page count is wrong on Goodreads, this book was pretty good. I had a lot of expectations because I liked the first book so much and I usually like the following books in a series much more than the premiere. Unfortunately, I think this one had just too many pages of stagnant plot. There were points when I was sitting there reading just wanting it to be over and I really hate it when books make me feel that way. Simultaneously though, I really liked what it was building up to. I love a heroine who can deliver on her powers, I love that Stasha hasn't given up on who she is despite what she's becoming. I really love that she has never fully trusted Averin considering how snaky he is. She was kind of betrayed, but she never allowed herself to trust him to the point where the betrayal derailed her. That's an admirable characteristic considering the turmoil of her life right now, that she's able to cling to morals regardless of any love she might feel for him.

The magic element of this book is super cool and I'm glad that this book explored it so much further than the first. I feel like I would have given this one a lower rating if I didn't love the originality of that aspect so much. Her magic has sentience, they call each other brother and sister and they fight and it's the best relationship of the series. She has never trusted Averin, but she trusts in her magic and in herself.

Again, the romance is shaky. If you're looking for a super sappy romance where they're invested in each other one hundred percent, this isn't where you'll find it. There are talks of a bargain made earlier in Averin's life that have, as of now, put a little bit of a damper on the whole passionate and full love thing. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes, but Stasha's strength of character is much better than the strength of the romance.

Would I Recommend?

The magic is unique, the universe is pretty unique. It follows a trend in YA and NA but it does so with its own twist. For a less popular, Indie series, this is one of the best I've read. It gets a little boring, yet it saves it with all the originality. Would recommend!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...