Thursday, August 1, 2019

Book Review: Shadowsong (Wintersong #2)

Shadowsong (Wintersong, #2)

Shadowsong
S. Jae-Jones
3/5

Overview

Shadowsong is the second book in a duology centering around the idea of a goblin bride and a whole Underground goblin kingdom. Featuring romance (technically straight and LGBT though the straight romance is central), changelings, and the fae. It's kind of convoluted and simultaneously straightforward. 

I like the cultural element of it, sometimes books that focus on fairy tales from other countries lose their identity along the way. It translated very well in this series though, giving it more of a historical fiction element. The romances were straightforward, though I don't like the way things ended with Josef and Francois, I saw it coming. 

This duology would probably have been better as a standalone given how little of the original characters I felt in the writing. I don't have a ton to say on it because I felt like the chain of events was nice, but obvious, and there were a lot of lulls. I loved the cover though, and I'm glad I got closure on all of their storylines. 

Would I Recommend? 

It held up the integrity of the original book. Duologies can be hard because I can never decide if I want more or less of something. Here, I could have done with less, but I respect that things didn't work out as directly as they could have given the first novel. I would recommend it for fans of romance and like goblins specifically? Not the best general fantasy you could find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...