Sunday, August 11, 2019

Book Review: Crown of Conspiracy (The Ilvannian Chronicles #1)

Crown of Conspiracy - The Ilvannian Chronicles

Crown of Conspiracy
Kara S. Weaver
3/5

I had a hard time deciding on what to rate this book, because I believe it has a lot of potential. Shalitha is basically the princess of a matriarchal kingdom, she loves to fight and she isn't afraid to talk back. She is attempting to preserve her people from the threat of conspirators lurking within the kingdom.

There were a lot of great points in the book, parts where I was hooked and I could see the book getting really good. I think that there were a lot of parts where the plot got a little messy though, too many things were happening too close together for me to really feel the impact of each event. Like Shalitha and Tal's injuries, they were just back to back and constant with no recovery time for me. Characters were introduced as villains, then dropped, then picked back up again without a lot of follow-through. The pacing was just a little off, I would have preferred more build-up time between the catalyst events.

The romance was cute though, it felt a lot more natural than the other elements of the book. I was rooting for them, which is always a good sign. I like romances where the couple meets previous to the events of the book, especially when the book is about war and conspiracy, it gives a lot more normalcy to their love.

The names were also a little confusing to me, though I feel like the glossary in the back of the book cleared things up. I think I would have preferred the glossary to be in the front of the book, I know that isn't traditional, but with such a diverse universe, it would have helped my small mind keep up.

Potential though! I'm looking forward to the sequel because the plot did interest me, especially the whole thing with the prophecy, we barely know anything about that yet. Overall, it was a great debut and a great find as an indie book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...