Monday, August 12, 2019

Book Review: Storm and Fury (The Harbinger #1)

Storm and Fury (The Harbinger, #1)

Storm and Fury
Jennifer L. Armentrout
4/5

Overview

I wasn't expecting this book, I don't think I read the description correctly because I was thinking, along with the cover, that it was a fantasy. It's much more paranormal than it is fantasy, in my opinion, but like those genres are so similar that it's difficult to really define them. No matter the genre though, this was a hilarious and exciting read. Trinity sees ghosts, she has epic fighting skills, and absolutely no impulse control. She lives in a compound with gargoyle shape-shifters to protect her from the demons who want to eat her, even though she can mostly hold her own in a fair fight.

This is the sequel series to The Dark Elements, which I never read and didn't even know was related to this. Again, I kind of did not do my research when this book came off the hold list at the library. I'm going to say that you can read this without reading the other series because I did it and I still thought it was a great book.

I felt a little bit of The Mortal Instruments in this, even before I knew the extent of her powers and everything. Like the book starts with Raver demons, pretty sure TMI started with a Ravener demon or something like that. But this is a completely different tone than that series, much more adult, and also a lot funnier. It felt a lot more genuine than most books that try to incorporate the "sassy and ironic female lead" thing into their writing. I think Trinity is a great lead, looking forward to where she goes in the sequel.

I did feel like there were some inconsistencies with the whole going blind thing. I know that her vision is a roller coaster depending on lighting, but like I feel like no matter what she would be wearing her glasses. I don't have a genetic degenerative seeing disorder but I always need my glasses and I don't think I would ever be able to see some of the details she listed without them. Maybe I was just nitpicking on that, I just really like the idea of an almighty chosen one having to deal with such a mundane yet debilitating disability.

Would I Recommend?

I think this book was hilarious and fairly unique, super cute with a lot of potential! I'd totally recommend and can't wait for the sequel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...