Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Book Review: Trial by Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #1)

Trial by Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae  #1)

Trial by Fae
Linsey Hall
3/5

Overview

Interesting but convenient. That sums up everything that happens in this book pretty well. Like that's pretty much the definition of Mari's powers, she cuts her finger and bam she can have any magic that she wants in the world. I think that's a little bit unfair, I don't like it when characters feel so omnipotent, but it didn't make the book unreadable like it does with a lot of other books.
Her romance with the Fae king is also pretty convenient and surface level, we haven't seen a lot of communications between the two that make it feel like anything deeper than infatuation. I liked the idea of a competition, but again it ended too conveniently and too quickly. I do like paranormal books like this when there's a ton of magical creatures which have their own places in society. Like I know that the series that Mari was initially featured in had similar themes, maybe I'm not feeling the depth of the characters because I haven't read that series. I don't think it's a requirement to read the other series though, so I think there should've been a little bit more to this as it's the first novel in Mari's perspective.

Would I Recommend?

It's short and it has potential, I'd recommend it for that. If you like super complex plot lines, like more like high fantasy stuff, this isn't really going to be what you're looking for. I hope that the next book goes deeper into Mari's parentage and everything, we'll see if it's a series worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...