Thursday, July 25, 2019

Book Review: Wild One (Born Wild #1)

Image result for wild one born wild

Wild One
Donna Augustine
4/5

Overview

I actually really liked this book, and I'm writing this review already having read the sequel so I'm a little biased, but I think it had a lot of great world-building. This book is part of another universe, the original series giving more context to the whole Plaguer thing and the apocalypse that took the world down, but it's not really required to read that series to understand this one.

The girl, Teddy, which feels like a weird name to give someone who was purchased to be a slave but that's none of my business, has been beaten for years and has kind of lost hope. She has the ability to see the deaths of other people, doesn't seem like a super helpful skill, but it earns her captivity. I appreciated that her struggles persisted throughout the entirety of the novel, her scars are more obviously mental than they are physical.

The romance is minor in this book, it actually annoyed me how roundabout it was. They spend so long arguing with each other about it that I just get bored of it. I think that I mainly couldn't give this book five stars because of how long Teddy spent talking about how horrible of a person she is, how hard her life was, how she'd never be a good person. I get it, like I said I do appreciate the persistence of her mental instability, but at times it just felt too overdone.

Would I Recommend?

Yeah, it's honestly a really good read. It's on Kindle Unlimited, so you have easy access to it. It's pretty short, so you get to the points pretty quickly and yet you still feel satisfied. It's a great opening book, especially because it really makes you want to see the romance work out. I don't read a ton of sci-fi because I feel like the whole dystopian thing has been kind of overdone, but this one is more fantasy than dystopia despite it being post-apocalyptic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...