Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Book Review: Sorcery of Thorns

Sorcery of Thorns

Sorcery of Thorns
Margaret Rogerson
4/5

Overview

When I saw this book on the list of new releases, I immediately thought it was going to be a SJM knock-off. I saw this one before I read Enchantment of Ravens last week, but they both had such high reviews that I figured I'd try them. This one was a lot better than I thought it would be, I've had some bad experiences with books on sorcery since I think it's so easy to get confused about what's good and what's evil, this book had it all though. I have a lot to say about this book because this book had a lot of feels and most of them were good feels.

I kind of feel like I should have given it five stars, but I also felt like I couldn't just because it was so cliche and didn't shock me at all. The chaotic female lead and the sarcastic male lead, it's been done a million times. They're both orphans, typical, and in a lot of ways it just felt very stagnant. What saved it for me was probably Silas and the relationships that formed there. It was just so cute and genuine to see such a positive platonic relationship, and with a demon of all things. He was funny and I loved him and his role in the book. I also think that the relationships between sorcerers and their demons was interesting to see, a little more original than the rest of what was going on.

The libraries! I loved that, like who doesn't love an enchanted library with books straight out of Harry Potter. I wish they explored more about her powers and her abilities and everything about the library, just because I feel like that was the most original setting of the book and had the most potential. I didn't like all of the slow parts when I was just confused as to what was going on. I feel like the fight peaked, then it peaked again, and again, before the villain was actually taken out. So I felt like I spent the final quarter of the book anticipating the ending and then just felt like it was going on too long. But the ending was still great, mostly because I loved Silas and think that he played an amazing role in it.

I know it ends on a little cliffhanger, but I feel like this book is a perfect standalone. When I really like a couple, like I did for Nathaniel and Elisabeth, it's hard for me to want it to end. Here though, everything was well addressed and tied up without it becoming too extra. Though if there was another book written I can't say I wouldn't read it.

Would I Recommend?

Yes! Even if it wasn't super original, it was a super fun read with a lot of great dialogue and some great characters. I think that if I read it again and was anticipating how long the fight scenes were going to last, I would definitely give it five stars. Just try not to compare it to ACOTAR when you're reading it despite the cover similarities, it really isn't even similar at all. Hope to see more great books from Margaret Rogerson!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...