Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Book Review: King of Flames (The Masks of Under #1)

King Of Flames (The Masks of Under #1)

King of Flames
Kathryn Ann Kingsley
3/5

Overview

King of Flames is a paranormal/fantasy book about aliens or maybe more of a Stranger Things like parallel dimension description is more accurate. First off, labeling it as a romance is wrong. There isn't any romance in this book, there's just possible build-up to it which could go any of three ways, since there's the one female main character and three guys currently possibly interested in her. I think one of my issues with the book was that it was so short and so many things were introduced and touched on but not really established? A lot was going on but at the same time, a lot wasn't going on. I know Lydia thinks of Nick as a good friend, but we don't see a whole lot of interaction, same with Aon and King Edu. They're all just there and have fights over stuff that doesn't make a lot of sense to the reader. Plus there's the possibility of a love triangle or something, and I'm just not interested in that sort of thing so I didn't really like how it went against the description of the book.

I think that's mostly why I was so bored the whole book. I was expecting some great interactions between Lydia and King Edu, or at least for him to care about her at all. It just felt more sadistic than what I like to read. I'm all for an emo lead character, but it's different when they're emo and passive about the character that should have been their love interest.

Would I Recommend?

I gave it three stars, but like I don't think I have the commitment to read the rest of the series. Shorter books like this that come out in rapid succession have to grab my interest, there should at least be a couple that I want to get behind and see more of. I would like to see where Lydia's whole power transformation goes, but I think it's going too slowly for me to want to read four books, and there are a lot of weirder and "darker" elements that I'm not really interested in. So I don't think it's the best series for me to get involved in or recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...