Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Book Review: More Than Anything (Broken Pieces #1)












Overall: 3/5

Plots and Themes: 3/5

Characters: 2/5

Writing Style: 3/5

Attention Grabbing: 3/5 

More Than Anything follows Tina and Harris, two adults who were romantically involved as teens, one of whom was much more impacted by the relationship than the other. Now they're both trying to figure their lives out in some way, and trying to figure out if they still have places in those lives. 

I give this book bonus points for making me cry. It was sort of overdone, making me wonder about how realistic everyone's apathy would be or if it was more of an attempt at continuing to force trauma on an already traumatized female protagonist. I nearly DNFed a couple of times because I was just tired of the sort of cloudy way all the emotions were being portrayed and received. Like it was all about target practice on Tina. None of the other characters had any chemistry and I was frankly a little confused about the family dynamic that I had jumped into. 

But yes, the defining success of the story was how they handled her ultimate trauma and revelation. I was crying at 2AM by the end, which is how you know it's at least good enough to be addicting. So I don't know if I would continue the series, but what I read here was fairly enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...