Sunday, February 5, 2023

Book Review: Two Witches and a Whiskey (The Guild Codex: Spellbound #3)



















Overall: 3/5

Plots and Themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing Style: 3/5

Attention Grabbing: 2/5

The third book in the Spellbound series, Tori has joined in to help prevent a guild of pirates from binding a fae water god to their will. In doing so, she accidentally binds him to herself. Now, they're still struggling to evade MagPol while having to prevent the fae lord from draining all her energy.

I liked the message of this one more than the other two. My biggest issue with the universe is the idea that magic is so defined by heritage. Which happens in a lot of books, of course, but it's hard to read when the protagonist is starting off with zero because I like it when the protagonists are special. Annette Marie is dealing with that here, and I appreciate the direction that their arcs are going. We're also finding out more about other character's powers and the magical universe in general that I feel I lacked in the sequel series, so it's good to get that background.

That being said, I'm finding it a bit hard to follow through. I think it's time for some sort of bigger revelatory event, and I think we're kind of getting there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...