Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Book Review: The Song of Achilles












Overall: 3/5

Plots and Themes: 4/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing Style: 4/5

Attention Grabbing: 3/5

The Song of Achilles is the story of Achilles and Patroclus, but in the way that Homer was too chicken to write it out. They're in love, but they're also tragic heroes. So you can probably guess where the book goes if you somehow haven't heard of the myth before. But it's not just a story of their battles and wars, it's a story of their lives and how two people could fall in love during the bizarre and intense situations of a Greek epic. 

My issue with this story was that I did not like Achilles. I thought Patroclus deserved better and that the real tragedy might just have been how everyone treated him like baggage his entire life. I also thought that the ten years within the Trojan War were a little boring, but that's just my personal preference on pointless battle scenes. We kept being told that tragedy was coming, and if you know anything about the story then you're pretty much expecting it the whole time, but they just drag it out with ten years of monotony. In a way, it's great that they got that time together but also they were like hardly interacting at all at that point. It dulled the romance for me. 

But still a good read, just took me a bit to get through. This was like my third attempt reading it, but I'm glad I made it because it is a beautiful ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...