Sunday, February 5, 2023

Book Review: Project Hail Mary


















Overall: 3/5

Plots and Themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing Style: 4/5

Attention Grabbing: 3/5

Project Hail Mary is the latest sci-fi novel by Andy Weir, author of The Martian. It follows a somewhat scattered story of a man trying to save the world from an algae-like alien that is consuming the sun. If you're a fan of the realistic science-fiction, this is the book for you because I feel like this has to be extremely realistic though I don't really have a thorough knowledge of microbiology.

My issue with it would be the author's attempt to balance the somewhat heavy science stuff with a goofy scientist and alien side character. I loved the friendship, I thought it was fun and I would hope if earth was about to face that sort of disaster that there would be as someone as nice and amiable at the forefront, but it felt a little too forced. The way he wouldn't curse was especially annoying, I feel like if a woman wrote this book or if Ryland Grace had been a woman, not one would've respected him the way that they did. That might just be a personal bias though.

Overall, enjoyable read that was a bit weighed down by the science but still easy enough for someone who isn't a STEM person to follow. I think it might be a lot more enjoyable as a movie (which I never say) so that those processes could be presented rather than just written out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...