Saturday, February 25, 2023

Book Review: Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy #1)
















Overall: 4/5

Plots and Themes: 4/5

Characters: 4/5

Writing Style: 3/5

Attention Grabbing: 3/5 

Foundryside is a fantasy universe centered around the magic of coding. Not computer coding, but magical scrivings that can convince an object to be something that it isn't. Sancia can hear what these codes are saying, which makes her a decent thief but also ruins her life in just about every other way. When she steals a scrived object that actually talks back to her, she is thrust into a quest for the legendary items of their society's godlike missing figures that could also lead to the end of the world. 

I liked this book, Sancia was tough but also realistic in her struggles. I think it was a good balance of struggle and success that gave it all a good flow. I also don't think that the author is afraid to shock his readers and I feel he's pretty decent at doing so- especially through the actions of his main characters. 

My only issue would be the pacing. It wasn't all that excited to me as someone who reads more for characters than plots. I understand that's a personal preference, but the info dumps in the first 100-200 pages were a bit much. I just generally have issues with these sorts of complex magic systems when they are over-explained, I like to understand it all but there's also a point that if you're giving me too much all at once I will zone out. 

All in all, a good book with a lot of worldbuilding and a subtle but sweet romance. I will be reading the next one when I get around to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...